Evidence-based practice is initiated by nurses and other healthcare professionals who identify questions about specific health-related interventions and the outcomes of those interventions on individuals and populations. The creation of a PICOT question helps guide evidence-based initiatives. The purpose of this worksheet is to provide an opportunity to explore the development of a PICOT question as a foundation for evidence-based practice.
Activity Learning Outcomes
Through this assignment, the student will demonstrate the ability to:
CO1: Integrate evidence-based practice and research to support advancement of holistic nursing care in diverse healthcare settings. (PO 1, 4)
CO2: Integrate knowledge related to evidence-based practice and person-centered care to improve healthcare outcomes. (PO 1, 2)
CO3: Demonstrate professional and personal growth through a spirit of inquiry, scholarship, and service in diverse healthcare settings. (PO 3, 4)
CO4: Develop knowledge related to research and evidence-based practice as a basis for designing and critiquing research studies. (PO 1, 2, 5)
The assignment should be submitted to the Week 2 PICOT Question Worksheet dropbox by Sunday 11:59 p.m. MST at the end of Week 2. This assignment will follow the late assignment policy specified in the course syllabus.
Students are expected to submit assignments by the time they are due. Assignments submitted after the due date and time will receive a deduction of 10% of the total points possible for that assignment for each day the assignment is late. Assignments will be accepted, with penalty as described, up to a maximum of three days late, after which point a zero will be recorded for the assignment.
In the event of a situation that prevents timely submission of an assignment, students may petition their instructor for a waiver of the late submission grade reduction. The instructor will review the student’s rationale for the request and make a determination based on the merits of the student’s appeal. Consideration of the student’s total course performance to date will be a contributing factor in the determination. Students should continue to attend class, actively participate, and complete other assignments while the appeal is pending.
Total Points Possible: 100
- Review the elements included in PICOT questions to guide evidence-based nursing practice.
- Respond to the questions below using the PICOT Question Worksheet Template download.
- Using a minimum of 3 scholarly nursing
sources, current within 5 years:
- Identify and describe one practice-related issue or concern. You may choose to build on the practice issue you identified in NR500NP/NR501NP.
- Explain why the issue/concern is important to nurse practitioner practice and its impact on health outcomes.
- Describe each element of your PICOT question in one or two sentences, being sure to address all of the following:
- P-Population and problem– What is the nursing practice concern or problem and whom does it affect?
- I–Intervention– What evidence-based solution for the problem would you like to apply?
- C–Comparison– What is another solution for the problem? Note that this is typically the current practice, no intervention at all, or alternative solutions.
- O–Outcome– Very specifically, how will you know that the intervention worked? Think about how you will measure the outcome.
- T–Time frame– What is the Timeframe involved for the EBP initiative or the target date of completion?
- Construct your PICOT question in the standard PICOT question format (narrative) and define each letter separately, such as:
- P =
- I =
- C =
- O =
- T =
- PICOT question written in full =
- Abide by the Chamberlain College of Nursing Academic Integrity Policy.
- At the graduate level, we like to see you synthesizing your ideas into your own words. No direct quotes may be used in this worksheet.
- Use APA formatting guidelines for references and citations.
- Submit your worksheet using the PICOT Worksheet Template as a Word document to the Week 2 Dropbox
|Practice-related Issue||20||20%||This section of the worksheet includes:
|Significance of the Issue||20||20%||This section of the worksheet includes:
|Discussion of PICOT Elements||20||20%||This section of the worksheet includes:
|PICOT Question||20||20%||This section of the worksheet includes:
|80||80%||Total CONTENT Points= [100 pts]|
|Graduate-Writing Style||10||10%||For full credit in this section, the following criteria must be met:
|20||20%||Total FORMAT Points= [20pts]|
|ASSIGNMENT TOTAL=100 points|
Kindly click ADD TO CART above to purchase the correct sample at only $15.